Welcome to your introduction to some of the fantastic authors who are already signed up for the conference. Today I'm showcasing
I write contemporary romance which feature alpha males (love them, can't get enough of them!) My most recent release is Candidate For Love, and I am working on several books at the moment. One will be part a boxed set, my first ever, and more steamy than I normally write. I have two other books I'm working one, one features a firefighter and the other a prince!
Wow, that's quite a jump! I look forward to hearing more about this variety at the conference. Oh hey, the conference! let's talk about RustCity!
1. Fill in the blank: "I used to be really good at shorthand , but these days I'm pretty rusty." Now that's an answer I haven't gotten before! shorthand is truly a dying art.
2. Eminem or Aretha? Explain. Aretha. R-E-S-P-E-C-T . Yup. Can't argue with that.
3. Choose One:
I'm confused. And not from around here.
4. What are you looking forward to most at the RustCity conference? Connecting with new readers and the other authors at the signing. The signing is definitely shaping up to be a highlight!
5. What is an off-the-cuff association you have with Michigan, Detroit, or Troy? I'm from Ohio...need I say more on the college football rivalry? Well... you might need to say more. I think that the overlap between booknerds and sports fans might be a little narrower than the general population...
6. Your latest work of fiction features a wealthy industrialist and an R&B singer. What's the first sentence? Raine needed a refuge, and the only person who could keep the paparazzi at bay was her old flame, mega-millionaire Troy Steele. OK, I could not come up with a better Detroit-hero name than Troy Steele if I worked on it for a year. You win!
Optional: What's it about? Raine needs space away from rabid fans and paparazzi always hounding her after her voice froze up on stage. Would hiding out in her former lovers mansion be the refuge she need, or would being near him again make her more vulnerable.
7. And finally, would you like to participate in the Alpha Heroes Five Words Fiction Game?
I'd love to!
Wonderful! You chose to write for the contemporary story, Hook and Curve. The world-building rules are: set in contemporary times, with no magic or paranormal elements. It's not required to be a romance. Have fun! Your challenge words are: Lantern, tangle, kitten, ocean, mushroom.
Part One, by Shelly Bell
Part Two, by Josie Kerr
Part Three, by MK Schiller
Part Four, by Rue Allyn
Part Five, by Vanessa Knight
Part Six, by Elizabeth Harmon
Part 7 by Lita Lawson
Hunter woke slowly to the sound of thunder. It didn’t do much for his throbbing headache. The good news was he had signed the boxer known to millions simply as “Lantern”. The bad news was they had celebrated with too many shots of tequila.Ooo, very nice job on the angsty backstory! This hero has some groveling to do, methinks. Thanks so much for joining me on Alpha Heroes today, Lita! Where else can my adoring public find you, besides, of course, Troy Michigan from August 12-14?
He slid his legs out from the tangle of sheets. Sitting up, he grabbed his cell phone and scrolled through his messages. One was from his airline notifying him his flight had been delayed. Well, luck was on his side in that regard since he needed time to grab a quick shower, pack and check out of the hotel. Not to mention swallow several aspirin to keep his headache from mushrooming.
In the shower, his mind drifted to thoughts of Maddie. Smelling her perfume and seeing her last night after all the years was a sucker punch to his heart. And it was a big reason he’d had so many celebratory tequila shots with his new client.
She had lost so much weight he hadn’t recognized her right away. The dark curls surrounding her face had shielded her eyes from him. But then he caught her familiar gaze, the same he remembered from all those years ago. the gaze that tortured him in many of his dreams, demanding he drown in his ocean of guilt.
Maddie, how she must hate him.
They had goofed off together until they were older, when they’d shared those first awkward moments of sexual awakening. She’d practically purred like a kitten afterward, so happy to be with him. But he had been conflicted. He wanted her, but he didn’t want her. As a jock, he wasn’t supposed to date a girl like Maddie. It didn’t matter how funny or smart or giving she was, she was overweight. Jocks were supposed to date the popular, attractive, thin girls. None of them were near as interesting as Maddie. But like most teenagers trying to fit in, he let peer pressure get the better of him. In order to keep his popular status, he knew he had to forsake Maddie. Like an ass, he’d never gone back to her eager embrace again.
Maddie had deserved better.
There were so many times he wanted to reach out to her high school. He wanted to grab her hand in the hallway, but yet didn’t want anyone else to see that. Hunter knew that was wrong. He couldn’t do that to her. Treat her like a dirty little secret. So he never reached out. Never called. Never stopped by her house to explain, apologize, grovel. For her forgiveness until her infectious laugh forgave him. Frustration at how he handled things back then ate him up off and on over the years. This morning was no different.
Turning off the shower, he shook her from his thoughts. He had to pack and get to the airport and hope his flight wasn’t cancelled.
My pleasure, Nicola! Please check out my books at my Amazon Author Page, come like me on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter.