Welcome to your introduction to some of the fantastic authors who are already signed up for the conference. Today I'm showcasing
Dennis, can you tell us a little about your work?
The first five novels in my series have all featured a private investigator and two Detroit homicide detectives. My newest work (as yet untitled) will introduce a new protagonist, a somewhat tainted small town medical examiner who stumbles on a shocking discovery while performing an autopsy on a murder victim. All of my books are based in Michigan and most have a strong Detroit connection.
That's great! I know that building up the Detroit writer community is an important goal for the Rust City Book Con organizer. So let's talk about RustCity!
1. Fill in the blank: "I used to be really good at hydroplane racing , but these days I'm pretty rusty." That sounds fascinating!
2. Eminem or Aretha? Explain. Neither. I'm more of a big band type. Sort of a throwback to the forties and fifties. I can totally understand that. There's a certain musicianship to that kind of music that seems kind of lost to popular music.
3. Choose One:
I'm confused. And not from around here.
4. What are you looking forward to most at the RustCity conference? Becoming a part of the Detroit writing community. I was born in Detroit and still love the city.
5. Which is NOT an actual community in Michigan? (no googling!)
(The correct answer is "Hero." I got very tickled at some of the names, especially when I saw that "Alpha" was one!)
6. Your latest work of fiction features a wealthy industrialist and an R&B singer. What's the first sentence? I've never understood your music, never had time for it but that doesn't mean you have to leave.
What's it about? A rising music star plans to divorce her husband because he doesn't want to finance her singing career. Murder might be in the plans.
I really like that... with or without the murder.
Thanks, Nicola. You can find out more about my work here: http://theunrealmccoy.blogspot.com/
Dennis, it's been a pleasure having you on the blog, and I look forward to meeting you in person next month!